125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Little Paris Bookshop – Nina George

Original review posted at 125pages.com

I received this book for free from Blogging For Books in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Little Paris Bookshop – Nina George

The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George
Published by Crown/Archetype on June 23rd 2015
Genres: Fiction, Literary, Romance, Contemporary,Psychological
Pages: 400
Format: Kindle
Source: Blogging For Books

Monsieur Perdu can prescribe the perfect book for a broken heart. But can he fix his own?   Monsieur Perdu calls himself a literary apothecary. From his floating bookstore in a barge on the Seine, he prescribes novels for the hardships of life. Using his intuitive feel for the exact book a reader needs, Perdu mends broken hearts and souls. The only person he can't seem to heal through literature is himself; he's still haunted by heartbreak after his great love disappeared. She left him with only a letter, which he has never opened.
After Perdu is finally tempted to read the letter, he hauls anchor and departs on a mission to the south of France, hoping to make peace with his loss and discover the end of the story. Joined by a bestselling but blocked author and a lovelorn Italian chef, Perdu travels along the country’s rivers, dispensing his wisdom and his books, showing that the literary world can take the human soul on a journey to heal itself.
Internationally bestselling and filled with warmth and adventure, The Little Paris Bookshop is a love letter to books, meant for anyone who believes in the power of stories to shape people's lives.

♦ The Little Paris Bookshop was a perfectly average book. The plot was fine, pacing fine, characters fine, writing fine; nothing really stood out as fantastic and nothing was abjectly horrible. The whole book revolves around Monsieur Perdu, a bookseller, who lost his love twenty years ago and has still not gotten over it. That could have made me super sympathetic to his character, until I found the circumstances of his love and was turned off. Certain things (don’t want to be spoiler-y) are just a no go for me and this was one of them. Plus he just pined for two decades, doing nothing to further his life. When he finally decides to take action it gets better, and the travels across France are the best part of the book. The minor characters were the same way, fine but no one really clicked for me. So in the end not a bad book but not a great one.

◊ Favorite lines from Chapter One – “He washed and scrubbed and ignored the piercing question of what he was meant to do now that he had opened the door to the room in which all his love, his dreams and his past had been buried. Memories are like wolves. You can’t lock them away and hope they leave you alone.”

¤ Biggest cliche – I was reminded of my lost love, now I must be sad.

Δ What are your book no-go’s?

Source: http://125pages.com/the-little-paris-bookshop-nina-george