125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Not That Easy – Radhika Sanghani

Original review at 125pages.com

Not That Easy – Radhika Sanghani

Not That Easy by Radhika Sanghani
Published by HarperCollins Publishers on September 24, 2015
Genres: Fiction, Romance, Romantic Comedy,General, Contemporary, Contemporary Women,Coming of Age
Pages: 336
Format: Kindle
Source: Netgalley
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads

The hilarious new novel from Telegraph journalist Radhika Sanghani.
Recent graduate Ellie Kolstakis is supposedly an ‘adult’. She has debt, an unpaid magazine internship and three flatmates who left her with the single room to match her single status. But Ellie doesn’t mind, because she doesn’t want a boyfriend anyway – she wants several, so Ellie heads straight online. Of course, like most of Ellie’s plans, there are a few things she didn’t count on…

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

♦ I was hoping this would be a cute book about a twenty-something finding herself and learning and growing. Instead I read a book about a whiny main character who is determined to be a slut and has no self-confidence. “I just want to have my slutty phase already.” “He’d see my lumpy body, my awkward tan lines, my pubes.” This was not a funny look at female self-empowerment; it was a sad tale of a girl so unhappy with herself that her only validation is found in men who want to sleep with her. I guess some people enjoy this kind of cringe entertainment (this brought to mind the show Girls, which I made it through two and a half episodes of), but I am not one of those. Now in no way am I shaming the character Ellie for her appearance or her sexuality; I just did not enjoy the combination in this book. She just screamed desperate and that is not what I am looking for in a good read.

◊ Favorite lines from Chapter 33 – “I closed my eyes. I wanted to sob hysterically and get all the stress out of me, but I was just too numb. This wasn’t like my other big dramas where I was humiliated/ rejected/ abandoned and could wail over wine— this felt so much bigger. It wasn’t just one isolated incident that was the issue here; it was my whole life. It was my decisions, my lack of moral code and my selfishness . It was no wonder I was left here alone in my room.”

¤ Biggest cliché – Thinking that having a man will make everything okay. Women need to stand up and take control of their own destinies. If a man comes along who supports you, great, if not that needs to be okay too.

Δ What characteristic turns you off of a main character?

Source: http://125pages.com/not-that-easy-radhika-sanghani