125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

time travel

Source: Netgalley
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads
four-stars

Eddie thinks nothing ever happens in his small, boring town. Every day is exactly the same, down to what the bus driver will say when he picks each kid up in the morning. But then, one day, someone new, and very pretty, walks onto the bus. At least, Eddie thinks she’s new, but there is something oddly familiar about Scarlett. Intrigued (and smitten), Eddie starts to follow Scarlett—and what he discovers is odder still. Scarlett is a Senior Echo Time Agent from the future, come to his town to investigate the origin of time travel, which, unbeknownst to Eddie, was invented right in his hometown, by someone he knew. Soon Eddie is swept up in the investigation and in time. But time travel is a dangerous business, and Eddie will learn more than he wants to know about his long-dead mother.

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

♦ I was not expecting to like No True Echo as much as I did. I was expecting a cutesy YA book focusing on a romance with the time travel as the secondary story line. Instead I got a book depicting what happens when technology is used to further personal agenda. I really cannot describe the book much as almost everything I could say would be spoiler-y. But I can say that at first I was confused; there is almost no world building and you are thrust in to the story already in progress. At first I was annoyed, but then the more I read the more I got why. You need to be present in the story, having too much build up would have ruined the confusion which is actually very needed. The multiple story arcs enhance the pace and tone. I really enjoyed the twists and turns the story took and I was honestly still guessing what would happen all the way through the final chapter.

◊ Favorite lines from Chapter 51 – “Half my life was spent trying to be a better person, but you reach a certain age and you realize you don’t have a choice about who you are. All of us are slaves to ourselves.”

¤ Biggest cliché –  If you could change your past your future would be perfect.

Δ If you could go back and change one incident in your life, would you?

four-stars