125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – Ransom Riggs

Goodreads
four-stars

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

Knowing I was participating in a Haunted Scavenger Hunt (see rules here and how to enter here) blog hop I was looking for a semi-scary, ghosty book to review. I don’t like straight horror so when I saw this one on the Halloween display at my library I snatched it up. I have been hearing about Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children for a few years now; and now I know why. This UNIQUELY themed book, mixes text and pictures to enhance the creepy. Jacob has grown up with his grandfather’s fairy tales. Believing them to be just that, tales, the family paid no attention to them. Seeking closure after his death Jacob and his father travel to the small island in Whales where the stories originated. What they find there will change not only their lives, but possibly the fate of the world. The creep was strong in this one, but it wasn’t overdone. Each part of the story feed off of the last and there were parts that were a little intense for me but then it would flow into another situation and level out. The world created was very finely detailed and the aforementioned pictures were a huge part of this. The pacing was a little slow at the beginning but picked up quickly towards the end. The characters were what set this book apart. Super unique and rich, each one played an integral part and carried the story in a different way. If the characters were not so well done Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children would have been a vastly different story and not in a good way. I am excited to read book two Hollow Children and the newly released third book Library of Souls.

Favorite lines – “I stood in the sudden breeze wondering what could possibly have done that type of damage, and began to get the feeling that something terrible had happened here. I couldn’t square my grandfather’s idyllic stories with this nightmare house, nor the idea that he’d found refuge here with the sense of disaster that pervaded it.”

Have you read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children or added it to your TBR?

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – Ransom Riggs

Source: http://125pages.com/miss-peregrines-home-for-peculiar-children-ransom-riggs