125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Love You Better – Natalie K. Martin

Source: Netgalley
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads
four-stars

After a soul-destroying breakup with her ex, Smith, Effie Abbott has met the man of her dreams. She’s had the whirlwind romance and the fairy-tale wedding to the charming and suave Oliver Barton-Cole, and life seems firmly back on track.
Things were never simple between Smith and Effie, so when he forces his way back into her life, Effie knows he’s a complication she doesn’t want or need. After all, she has Oliver, a man who loves her better than Smith ever did.
But when cracks in her marriage begin to emerge and Oliver shows flashes of a darker side, Effie has to question just how well she really knows her husband, and whether Smith is back to derail her seemingly perfect marriage or save her from it.

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

♦ I like quite a few things about Natalie Martin’s books.

One of the main things I like is that her characters are diverse without trying. In Love You Better there are a few hints about the race of the lead female then 75% through it is mentioned that her father was from Africa and her mother white. The male leads are both white, but here is the thing, it doesn’t matter. I like that the author realizes that the color of one’s skin does not matter in a love story and does not shout it from the rooftops, it is just a normal part of life. The pacing and world building were spot on and I enjoyed realizing that the novella Wanderlustbridged into this novel. Effie is in love with the idea of love. Marrying Oliver after just a few months she believes that she now has the stability she has always craved. But then the real Oliver comes through and her first love comes back into her life. Effie’s journey to her true self is both poignant and powerful. I enjoyed Together Apart by Martin and have featured her in Author Tuesday, so I was glad to see that her second novel was just as good as her debut.

◊ Favorite lines – “You have no idea how you’ve turned my life around. It’s as if I was just drifting along before I met you, and then – boom. Everything made sense.”

¤ Biggest cliché – “I am only as important as my man says I am.”

Δ Do you like when a stories bridge each other?

four-stars