125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls – Jes Baker

bodypositive

Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls by Jes Baker
Published by Seal Press on October 27, 2015
Genres: Social Science, Popular Culture, Self-Help, Personal Growth,Self-Esteem, Women's Studies
Pages: 224
Format: Kindle
Source: Netgalley
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads
four-stars

Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls is a manifesto and call to arms for women of all sizes and ages. With smart and sassy eloquence, veteran blogger Jes Baker calls on women to be proud of their bodies, fight against fat-shaming, and embrace a body-positive worldview to change public perceptions and help women maintain mental health.
With the same straightforward tone that catapulted her to national attention when she wrote a public letter addressing the sexist comments of Abercrombie & Fitch's CEO, Jes shares personal experiences along with in-depth research in a way that is approachable, digestible, and empowering. Featuring notable guest authors, Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls is an invitation for all women to reject fat prejudice, learn to love their bodies, and join the most progressive, and life-changing revolution there is: the movement to change the world by loving their bodies.

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

4.25 Stars

All the yesses to this book! Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls is subtitled A Handbook for Unapologetic Living and it so is. I think I have visited Jes Baker’s website The Militant Baker once, during the Abercrombie & Fitch debacle (short story their CEO was an asshat and Jess called him out on it), so I was not aware of who she was when I requested or read this book. Now I know a few things about her – 1) we live in the same city (Tucson, 520 is where it’s at y’all)  and 2) she is fantastic. I wasn’t sure what kind of book I was getting into but I was intrigued. So it made me ridiculously happy thatThings No One Will Tell Fat Girls is more that just for the aforementioned ladies. She promotes body positivity for all; fat, skinny, black, white, LGBTQIA and everyone in between. And that is fantastic. Yes, she is unapologetic about being fat, and yes she thinks people who body shame are just the worst, but that’s the truth, and you have to admire someone who is willing to put themselves out there so publicly to rally around a population that generally hides in the shadows. I also loved that she is so inclusive, no matter your size. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has ever felt body shame and anyone who is the parent of a girl. The section on positive affirmations is worth the price of the book alone.

Favorite lines – “We’re taught to deflect compliments, to publicly berate ourselves, and that verbal flogging is a sign of a good human being. It’s not. Having the nerve to say, “God, I’m feeling so wonderful about myself today!” is a fantastic thing, and if it makes people feel uncomfortable (it might) it’s because they haven’t figured out that form of liberation yet. Their loss.”

Have you read Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls, or added it to your TBR?

four-stars