125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Sister Pact – Stacie Ramey

sucide fact

The Sister Pact by Stacie Ramey
on November 3, 2015
Genres: Young Adult, Social Issues, Death & Dying, Family, Siblings,Depression & Mental Illness
Pages: 320
Format: Kindle
Source: Netgalley
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads
four-stars

Who holds your secrets?
Allie is devastated when her sister commits suicide-and it's not just because she misses her. Allie feels betrayed. The two made a pact that they'd always be together, in life and in death, but Leah broke her promise and Allie needs to know why.
Her parents hover. Her friends try to support her. And Nick, sweet Nick, keeps calling and flirting. Their sympathy only intensifies her grief.
But the more she clings to Leah, the more secrets surface. Allie's not sure which is more distressing: discovering the truth behind her sister's death or facing her new reality without her.

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

4.25 Stars

The Sister Pact is a book that should be required reading for teens.

Allie and Leah are two peas in a pod. Sisters who share clothes, makeup and a secret. They have a pact to check out when life gets too hard. But then Leah commits suicide alone, leaving Allie grieving and angry that she was left behind. As Allie tries to find the why behind Leah’s actions she discovers that she may not have know her sister, or herself, as well as she thought. This book delves into a painful topic, youth suicide. Suicide is the SECOND leading cause of death for ages 10-24. (2013 CDC WISQARS). While fiction, The Sister Pact, provides a glimpse into the lives of those left behind. At times, raw and painful, this book can help show why suicide isn’t a way out. It lingers and lives far beyond the individual. The family, friends and community are all affected in a deep way. The Sister Pact does not glamorize Leah’s death but reflects it off of those around her. Books like this are so necessary as they help show another side of a decision that impacts a family and a community. There is help and resources for those considering and the people left behind.

AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF SUICIDOLOGY – Suicide Prevention is Everyone’s Business

Help Prevent Youth Suicide

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 1-800-273-TALK (8255), provides access to trained telephone counselors, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

◊ Favorite lines – “Mom lies to keep us moving. She is fine: lie. Dad still loves us: lie. I am good enough: lie. Each move is carefully negotiated. Each lie is designed. She plays an excellent game. I should be impressed. I’m not. I don’t want to live like this anymore.”

hotline