125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver – Michele Brouder

soul

I received this book for free from Chapter by Chapter Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver by Michele Brouder
Source: Chapter by Chapter Tours
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads
four-stars

When seventeen year-old librarian wannabe Claire Daly is dragged kicking, screaming and cursing from everything she loves——her mam, her cozy Irish village and the dreamy boy next door——to take up arms in the battle of good versus evil, she learns the hard way that sometimes you don't get to choose your own destiny, destiny chooses you. Claire's life plan is simple: head off to university to get her degree in library studies, summon up the courage to tell her best friend Chas that she loves him and live happily ever after. She never once entertained the idea that she might possess divine powers, that she might be predestined to battle Hell's demons, or to complicate matters further, that another love of many lives past might turn up on her doorstep. But life doesn't always go as planned, and when a co-worker is viciously attacked by a demon and her own family threatened, Claire must face the truth: she is called to a higher purpose and has no choice but to answer. Claire sets aside her dreams and begins learning how to deal with the Unholy once and for all. Armed with only a crash course in soul saving and her wits, she gears up for the ultimate show down in Hell. But will it be enough?

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

I was not expecting Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver to be as good as it was. It had a good premise, but I was afraid it would life up to the synopsis. I’m glad I was wrong. Claire is a seventeen-year-old who discovers she is an Illuminate, a warrior in the battle between Heaven and Hell. Fighting against her legacy with all that she has, Claire resists all help and pushes her family away. Adding to her troubles, Claire is an atheist and is told she needs to build a strong faith to successfully wield her powers. Now I have read and come across a lot of YA paranormal with similar premises and most were so-so.Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver is an example of a good YA paranormal, along the lines of Kelley Armstrong or Rachel Vincent. A solid world was created with characters that fit, an atmosphere that created needed tension and a cast that I genuinely cared about rounded out this book. There was a strong religious undertone with the need for Claire to believe, but it was not forced or pushy. It added to the story as Claire did not instantly conform and even to the end of the book still held on to her personal beliefs. Sometimes first books in a series spend the whole first book world building with very little action, and this was built well but still had action and tension. I look forward to the second book in the Soul Savers series.

Favorite lines – “But there’s more to it than that. Claire, you have to understand that there is hierarchy everywhere: within the Church, with angels, with everything. It’s the way it is, even among the Illuminate. It’s to prevent chaos and disorder.”

Biggest cliché – “Oh I’m so special, but I don’t want to be. Special sucks.”

Have you read Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver or added it to your TBR?

Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver – Michele Brouder