125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Rooter – Teiran Smith

jax

I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Rooter by Teiran Smith
Source: Author
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads
three-half-stars

At twenty one, Sophie has already endured enough pain and heartache to last two lifetimes. All she wants to do is create a normal, comfortable life for herself. She goes to college, works part-time, and leads a quiet, ordinary routine.
So why is she so obsessed with Rooter, the alleged “vicious criminal” next door? She watches as he comes and goes. Watches him play with his pit bull. Watches him hang out in his backyard with other alleged criminals.
When Sophie’s roommate, Mike, attacks her in a fit of jealous rage, Rooter comes to her rescue. Sophie quickly falls for Rooter, but he makes it clear she’s better off without him. He’s the worst kind of guy—Dangerous—and she’s a good girl.
When she’s attacked yet again, Rooter swoops in and saves her and finally admits his feelings for her. They embark on a passionate relationship, but his secrecy, controlling tendencies, and crazy ex-friend-with-benefits threaten to tear them apart.
Just when it seems things can't get any worse, Sophie is accused of a brutal crime that pits Rooter against her. When Mike’s infatuation turns into a deadly obsession, will he be there to save her?

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

Have you ever had a book, looked at the name, looked at the cover, read the synopsis and thought “well this will be bad”? I totally thought that aboutRooter. I get about 30-40 book review requests a month and generally only accept 5 or less. I try to do my due diligence with them and look into them before I decline. I will check out the Goodreads and Amazon descriptions, the synopsis, the star rating from other reviewers and the like before I decide. So when I received a request for a book titled Rooter-Sophie’s Obsession I was hesitant. Going to Goodreads I saw the cover and to be honest it looks to me like a Georgia O’Keefe painting, and not in the best way. And then I read the synopsis and I was done. Nope, this book was not for me. Then I noticed on the author page that the first three chapters were available on the authors’ website. I figured why not. So I read the first three chapters and then I emailed the author within about five minutes to get the book. Rooter has quite a few things going against it; the name (it is not about plumbers), the cover, the blurb, but what it does have is a solid story line. I am an avid SOA fan and this put me right back in the world of an outlaw biker club. Rooter and Sophie are neighbors and have each been harboring the feels for each other. Rooter knows his life style is not right for a nice girl like Sophie so he does everything in his power to push her away. The fair Sophie draws trouble like a magnet and Rooter can’t help but rescue her. The world created was rich and I kept picturing the two male biker leads as Jax and Opie and I was very pleased. The pacing was a little spotty and a sub story was not explored enough for my liking. The main characters were very fleshed out but some of the supporting cast seemed thrown in the mix for no real reason. But Rooter has heart and it has great possibility. This is the first in a series and with some polish I can see each successive book as must reads. So this was a good lesson for me to not judge a book by its cover (or name or blurb).

Favorite lines – “If you can find out things about me, I can do the same.” He laughs. “Go ahead. Maybe you’ll learn something that’ll convince you to stay away from me.” A wave of anger and exasperation come over me. “Obviously that’s not what you want.” “It’s what’s best for you.” “But it’s not what you want,” I challenge.”

Biggest cliché – “I am so bad and dangerous you must stay away. But wait come here I miss you.”

Have you read Rooter, or added it to your TBR?

three-half-stars