125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Blackmail Of Evelynn Faust – Shirley Anne Edwards

badass

I received this book for free from Reading Alley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Blackmail of Evelynn Faust by Shirley Anne Edwards
Source: Reading Alley
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads
three-stars

Evelynn Faust suffers from horrible insomnia and paranoia. The summer before her senior year of high school should be one of the best summers of her life. But she’s tormented by guilt and an addiction that haunts her every waking moment. Evelynn is a drug dealer who also craves the drug she sells. The money and the popularity that come with it aren’t bad either. But when she’s caught dealing on school property by Eric Wagner, the respected and admired police chief’s son, the game is over.
He won’t snitch on her, unless she gives him whatever he wants - her.
She’s being blackmailed.
Evelynn has no one to turn to for help. Not her parents who don’t understand her rebellious nature or her circle of friends who only care about partying and getting high. When Adam Tristen moves in across the street, and he wants to get to know her better, it all seems too good to be true.
She must make a pact with the devil.
Evelynn now looks over her shoulder wherever she goes, waiting for Eric to act on his threats. But Adam, the charming college sophomore, sees something special inside Evelynn, and he wants to help her fix mistakes. In order to do that she must confront a dark secret from her past that could destroy her family…her life…and her entire world as she knows it.
She’ll need to take a leap of faith.

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

The Blackmail Of Evelynn Faust has such a good premise. Bad girl caught by police chief’s son and blackmailed. That could be super juicy and emotional. That’s why it saddened me that it was instead a trope-y mash-up of YA generalities. Uncaring and unconcerned parents? Check. Boys who treat girls like possessions? Check. Tough girl exterior masking sadness? Check. Every guy lusting after main character even though she thinks of herself as plain? Check. Even the world created was a generic every town with no standouts. The pacing was also a little off, at times the story line moved up and I was not sure why. The writing was also an issue for me. It seemed stilted and lacked emotion. In a story of blackmail, drug abuse and sexual manipulation, emotion should be dripping from the page. Instead I found it to be more “this happened and I felt this way”, the feelings were explained rather than being a part of the story. Overall The Blackmail Of Evelynn Faust wasn’t a bad book, it was just a very generic YA good girl gone bad gone good again story. I have see it done much better and much worse.

Favorite lines – “Everyone makes mistakes.” He tweaked my chin and kissed me on the cheek. “All you can do going forward is learn from them and not repeat the mistakes from your past.” “Will you help me? I don’t think I can do it by myself.” I hated the plea in my voice, but with Adam, I could be vulnerable and he wouldn’t criticize. “Of course.”

Biggest cliché – Sadly, almost everything.

Have you read The Blackmail Of Evelynn Faust, or added it to your TBR?

three-stars