125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

NAKED: Stripped by a Man and Hurricane Katrina – Julie Freed

hurricane

I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

NAKED: Stripped by a Man and Hurricane Katrina by Julie Freed
Source: Author
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads
four-stars

One week - no house, no spouse. Abandoned by her husband, Julie is left alone on the Mississippi Gulf Coast to raise her infant daughter in Hurricane Katrina's aftermath. Julie is surrounded by the rubble of her life, stripped by love and loss. What happens when one woman loses everything? Freed's debut memoir offers intimate details of parallel tragedies. A romantic marriage and sudden divorce are framed by one of America's most defining natural disasters. Strong prose and literary motif capture the resilience of a Southern community, a father's unwavering support, and the love and adoration Julie has for one year old Genoa. An extraordinary true story told with humor and tenderness.

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

I always feel bad when I do not enjoy a memoir, as it is someone’s real life they are exposing. So I was very happy with Naked, as it is a memoir that I very much enjoyed. Julie Freed’s world was rocked by an unexpected divorce request and then a week later Hurricane Katrina; Naked is her story of that tumultuous time in her life. Chapters were separated between past, showing the relationship build with her husband, and the week of disasters. I did click more with the hardship time; some of the chapters that dealt with the past seemed stilted and unemotional. However, the chapters that dealt with the separation and hurricane were sumptuous. Freed was also unafraid to deal with tough issues and I enjoyed the raw honesty she put forth. Richly nuanced and at times lyrical, these chapters were just divine. It is a rare talent that can make you feel the emotions portrayed in words and Freed accomplished this. Showing that true strength and power can derive from the lowest of places NAKED: Stripped by a Man and Hurricane Katrina is one memoir that I am glad I read.

Favorite lines – “My lungs filled with fresh new air brought from deep in the Gulf. The salty wind spun and twisted my clothes about my body as I pleaded to Katrina. I hoped she was showing me the way. I was crushed, but free. I inhaled a cleansing breath. I would survive. I must survive.”

Have you read NAKED: Stripped by a Man and Hurricane Katrina, or added it to your TBR?

four-stars

NAKED: Stripped by a Man and Hurricane Katrina – Julie Freed
Source: http://125pages.com/naked-stripped-by-a-man-and-hurricane-katrina-julie-freed