125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Butterfly Dreams – A. Meredith Walters

Source: Netgalley
Buy on Amazon
Goodreads
three-half-stars

She’s waiting to die. . . . Corin Thompson is paralyzed by her obsession with mortality. Having lost both of her parents, she is terrified by the idea that she too will die young, and she loses control at any sign of illness. But when Corin connects with someone who has survived a very real brush with death, she begins to see the world in a whole new way.
He’s learning to live. . . . As Corin struggles under the weight of her neuroses, Beckett Kingsley is attempting to rebuild a life that feels all too temporary. With the ever-present threat of heart failure never far from his mind, he just wants to make the most of whatever time he has left. And that means pursuing the girl he never expected to find.
Together, Corin and Beckett finally learn to let go of their fears and take solace in everyday pleasures. Who knows what the future holds? After all, nothing lasts forever—the only promise they have is right now.

This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.

Butterfly Dreams is described as being for fans of The Fault in Our Stars and If I Stay.As I am a fan of both, I jumped at the chance to read it. While I can see elements of each book in Butterfly Dreams, I found Corin to be closer to a mix between Caroline Compson and Margo Spiegelman and Beckett to be a cross between Landon Carter andCharlie. Corin is a hypochondriac who, while outwardly shunning all comfort and attention, craves it deeply. She can be very self centered and is so focused on her own needs that she dismisses everyone else. Now this may make it sound like she is a bad character or that I didn’t click with her, but I actually really liked her. Yes, was she needy and dismissive of those already in her life, but it was in her flawed moments that her character was the strongest. Beckett was a good boy who just wanted to be normal and make others happy. He pushed aside his true emotions and put on a happy face for everyone to see. For Beckett, meeting Corin was his destiny and for Corin meeting Beckett was her salvation. The world building was strong and the pacing good. I found a few of the supporting characters to be flat and one-dimensional but the majority were nicely detailed. The one big detraction for me in this book was the ending. It was too perfect. With all the build up and all of the emotion I had from reading, I wanted messy and, frankly, sad. I know I should not be complaining about a solid ending; it was just not what I thought the story was leading up to. With that all said, the seemingly disparate elements all came together to make a solid read.

Favorite lines – “Stop thinking about your life in increments. Seconds. Minutes. Days. Look at the bigger picture and embrace whatever time you have. Don’t look constantly toward the end. Enjoy the right now.” The girl with death in her eyes glanced up at me, her wet eyes suddenly clear. I tried not to feel embarrassed by my cheesy advice. Because I truly believed the words I had just given her.

Biggest cliche – “Please don’t pay attention to me. Why aren’t you paying attention to me?”

Have you read Butterfly Dreams, or added it to your TBR?

three-half-stars