125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Sweet Ruin – Kresley Cole

Sometimes the heavens align and good things really do happen. I love the Immortals After Dark series but was a little disappointed with MacRieve as I just didn’t click with the male lead. Then came Dark Skye and my love started to return. I kept watching and waiting for the announcement of the next book and was really excited when I heard that it was adding a whole new dimension to the series. Kresley Cole is one of my auto buy authors, so as I stalked her website, Facebook and Twitter for more info, the more excited I got. Then I saw Sweet Ruin on Netgalley and just about lost my mind. I requested it and kept waiting, and waiting, and waiting. I still had not been approved by Thanksgiving weekend so I knew a trip to the store on Tuesday was in order. But then!!!! I woke up Monday morning to the best email ever, I had been approved a day before publication! I was distracted all day at work and kept sneaking pages in on my breaks and lunch. Once I got home serious reading time started and interruptions were not to be tolerated. My husband was trying to show me some Storm Trooper thing on his phone and I told him that I had been waiting for this book for months and he was not being conducive to my reading. Pouting he said, “I guess I won’t talk to you then.” To which I replied, “That would be fantastic thanks.” At ten to one a.m. I closed my Kindle, done with Sweet Ruin.

So all that build up to say TOTALLY WORTH IT! The waiting, the wondering, the loss of sleep, all for an amazing cause. Sweet Ruin was just remarkable. Jo was an amazing kick-ass female lead. She was unapologetic about her life and what she required out of any male chasing her. Rune was pure testosterone and swagger. Their interactions were pure delight as they snarked and one-upped on their path to HEA. Beyond them though, was the world Cole created. It is rare to have surprises in the sixteenth book in a series as the world built is pretty structured by that point, but Cole managed to weave in a whole new mythos with Sweet Ruin that just blew apart everything I though was set. And I couldn’t have been happier about it. The potential paths for the series are now so vast and while I have some ideas of who the newcomers may be I’m sure I will be surprised by the reveal. Fast paced and full of the wonderful supporting characters I have come to know and love, Sweet Ruin was a revelation of a read. My only word of warning, this is not really a series you can jump into, you truly need to start at the beginning with The Warlord Wants Forever.

Favorite lines – “I was thinking about teaching ole Thad here how to roll drug dealers for coke-dusted cash. Maybe pummel some pimps. Don’t they give Eagle Scout badges for shit like that?”… The woman had asked them to take out the freaking garbage first, then had the nerve to call, “Make good choices. . . .”

Biggest cliché – “I don’t like you one bit. But don’t leave me!”

Source: http://125pages.com/sweet-ruin-kresley-cole