125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Instructions for the End of the World – Jamie Kain

Instructions for the End of the World was both very good and very bad at the same time. The world built was great, the pacing was not. About half of the characters were very well fleshed out and the other half seemed like they were thrown in at the last minute. Some of the plot points were very strong and some were so unrealistic it was almost painful. The story centers around teen Nicole, a very strong character who I connected with, her sister an “every rebel teen stereotype” and Wolf “the troubled boy next door”. The parents were outright neglectful and just all around horrible and only served to drag the story down, particularly the subplot with Wolf’s mother. However, some scenes brought me to tears with their poignancy and I was rooting for Nicole to triumph the entire read. It almost felt as if two different novellas were stuck together and the author was tasked with melding them together as quickly as she could. Instructions for the End of the World has potential, but sadly did not fulfill it.

Favorite lines – “Survival, I know now, is the story you tell yourself to get by. Evasion is all about avoiding the enemy. But what if the enemy is the person you’re supposed to depend on? What if the enemy is inside your own head? Resistance isn’t a gun in hand, ready to fire. It’s knowing your own mind. Knowing how you will bend, and how you won’t. Escape is not always physically possible, but no one can control where your thoughts go. No one can make you believe what you know is wrong.”

Biggest cliché – Another YA book, another set of absent/neglectful parents.

Source: http://125pages.com/instructions-for-the-end-of-the-world-jamie-kain