125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Outspoken – Lora Richardson

Outspoken is a cute fast NA read. Is it life changing and super powerful? No, but I don’t need every book I read to be. Sometimes I just want to read a nice story and this was one of those. World building was well done, pacing was solid and the characters were developed well. The sidekicks were particularly well done and provided some nice comic and emotional support. The love interest was the required dreamy and deep. The family was pushy yet caring and I enjoyed that they weren’t the typical YA neglectful family. They were overly caring and clingy and that was a nice change. Outspoken was chock full of YA/NA clichés. Friends are made instantly even though main character does not want friends and wants to be broody loner. Love interest is right there and super perfect. Job and living situation instantly work out. However that being said, none of that brought the story down. Clichés are not instantly bad, they are consistently used because they work, and in this book they work. The addition of Penny’s grandfathers decent into Alzheimer’s was especially poignant and well written and not something usually found in YA/NA. I also did really like the main character Penny and her motivation. She was on a mission to reinvent herself and be true to her feelings and I liked that. Outspoken is Lora Richardson’s debut novel and I feel it was overall a success. I can see great things coming from Richardson in the future with some polish and growth.

Favorite lines – Thoughts swirled around her head, and the only one she could grab onto was that whispering after kisses is practically mandatory. As if using your full voice would scare the new feelings away.

Biggest cliché – “I feel so alone in the world, but yet everyone loves me instantly.”

I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/outspoken-lora-richardson