125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Restaurant Critic’s Wife – Elizabeth LaBan

The Restaurant Critic’s Wife was a smart mom lost in her marriage tale. Lila is a mother of two in a new city and staying at home with her kids for the first time. Her husband has his dream job as a restaurant critic and is super paranoid of anyone finding out what he looks like. He is obsessed to the point of demanding Lila not make friends with anyone unless she knows they have no ties to the food service industry. The world building was well done and the pacing was fast and just right. The characters were well fleshed out and in some cases that was a detraction. Sam, the husband, was an outright ass. He was so singularly focused on his job that he was neglectful to his family and downright cruel at times. Lila was so upset at his actions that she acted out and did the exact opposite of what her husband wished. At times their interactions were downright childish and made me cringe. But the heart ofThe Restaurant Critic’s Wife was sweet and that overcame the temporary dislike of the main characters. I enjoyed that Lila was portrayed as a smart educated woman and not just as an offshoot of her husband. I also liked that she was made better by using her brain. She was not a simpering weakling and that was very nice to see portrayed in a “mommy” book. Elizabeth LaBan created a smart and funny read in The Restaurant Critic’s Wife.

Favorite lines – “The most ironic thing in all of this is that you bill yourself as a crisis manager. The funny thing is, you don’t seem to manage our crises particularly well. If anything, you cause them.”

Biggest cliché – “If I sit here silently they will all know how upset I really am.”

Source: http://125pages.com/restaurant-critics-wife-elizabeth-laban