125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Other Broken Things – C. Desir

Other Broken Things kept me up till 2 a.m. and I’m not sad about that at all. This is the type of YA book I love. Smart and with a well defined sense of self, it wasn’t trying to hard to be edgy or cool. The world built was strong and the pacing was spot on. What made this a standout was the characters. Nat is perfection as a broken doll trying to repair herself and Joe is a reluctant hero. The supporting cast was strong, minus the parents who were just there. The two drunken best friends and the hook-up boyfriend add some nice comic relief, especially a scene in Red Lobster where the two drunk girls were stealing biscuits. I was surprised that the age difference between Nat and Joe did not squick me out. The way their relationship built so naturally made sense and by the end I was rooting for them to persevere. A book about a teen alcoholic forming a relationship with a man in his thirties is not a feel good light romp. I went into Other Broken Things knowing that. I also knew that if not done well, the story would be distasteful or ridiculous. I put the book down with a feeling of satisfaction as it was so well done. I have found that it is a rare author who can properly balance an addiction story and a love story and C. Desir is one that can.

Favorite lines – His cheeks are wet with tears now. Not the sobbing kind, the silent ones that remind you of who you are and what you’ve lost. I woke up with so many of those kinds of tears when I was in rehab.

Biggest cliché – It’s a YA, so the obligatory detached, clueless parent.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/broken-things-c-desir