125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Fake Missed Connections – Brett Fletcher Lauer

I had such high hopes for Fake Missed Connections, but sadly they were not met. In the synopsis it states Brett Fletcher Lauer begins to write fake missed connections on Craigslist following his divorce, so I expected the book to be mainly the missed connections. What he wrote, the crazy responses and such. I expected funny and dark. Instead I read a memoir that was 70% dwelling on the past and sadness, 10% about Lauer’s addiction, 10% straight up whining and 10% personals, missed connections and responses. I think I would have liked Fake Missed Connections more if it had a different title or synopsis. I was expecting something totally different and as I was reading I kept looking for the Craigslist ads and the sharp biting humor I believed was coming. If I had know this was to be primarily about the hurt Lauer felt towards his mother and wife I would have read it differently. I like memoirs and enjoy the dark sad ones when I know that that is what’s coming. This should have been marketed as an addiction/family dysfunction memoir instead of a personals gone wrong story. Now on the positive side Lauer had a good writing style. I enjoyed his phrasing and pacing, and he had great introspection. Since I had such high expectations for what this book would be I was disappointed. This is a great example of how a synopsis and title can truly affect the reading process.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/fake-missed-connections-brett-fletcher-lauer-2