125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

What She Left – T.R. Richmond

What She Left had such a great premise. Young women dead, authorities not sure if it was murder or suicide. An old professor determined to find the truth. A trail being followed via social media, blogs and diaries. I was excited to read this and had hoped to add T.R. Richmond to my list of great psychological thriller authors. So I was disappointed when I closed the cover after the final line. What I read was not a fantastic thriller that messed with my mind, but a mash-up of thriller-like ideas that never quite made it.

What She Left suffered from too much plot. It was like Richmond wanted to throw everything he could think of in, but that left him without time to properly flesh any of it out. The characters were all generally unlikeable, even the dead girl was not a sympathetic character. The world created was disjointed and never seemed to fill out and the pacing was either too slow or too fast. The “big” reveal was so rushed it seemed to have been crammed in as a last thought. I was surprised by the “who-done-it” as I had not expected it, but I didn’t care by that point. I think What She Left could have been great if it had stuck to being one thing – a modern internet based thriller or a straight up mystery. But the attempted blending of the genres just did not work for me.

Source: http://125pages.com/left-t-r-richmond