125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Things We Keep – Sally Hepworth

I first heard of The Things We Keep back in September from Breaking the Spine’s Waiting on Wednesday. I was instantly intrigued by the synopsis as I really enjoyed Still Alice. So I was very glad I was able to get approval for the ACR on Netgalley. I am glad I did, as this was a great read. This was a unique look at Alzheimer’s as it dealt with Anna, a women in her thirties, diagnosed with early-onset. While she is still mentally able, she decides to move into an assisted living center, and picks one based on the fact that they have another young resident with dementia.

The chapters alternate character narration and go a year in the future and then back. It sounds confusing but worked very well within the scope of the story. The world built was vivid and solid, the pacing was just right and the majority of the characters were strong. A few of the side characters felt shoved in and had very little to do with moving the story forward. But even with those included the story never lagged. The high emotional quotient in The Things We Keep was perfection and I really enjoyed all of the different interactions.

What I enjoyed the most was that this was a very different type of women’s fiction. It melded a contemporary women’s fiction with a medical drama then added in some romance and a Ponzi scheme. It shouldn’t have worked, but it did. Sally Hepworth managed to create a read that touches many emotional levels and had depths I was not expecting. The Things We Keep is a book that will stay with you in the best of ways.

Source: http://125pages.com/things-keep-sally-hepworth