125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Weathering – Lucy Wood

Weathering sounds so amazing. Three generations trapped in a small town. A ghost trapped in a river, her drifter daughter returning to town with her daughter. Swirling, almost magical landscapes. I was so excited to read it. But sadly it was less than stellar. Pearl the ghost was just kind of there, not haunting, not comforting, just a wet footprint left here and there. Ada the daughter, a luckless mother who drags her daughter Pepper from one bad job and relationship after the other. Pepper the youngest member of the family is a precocious girl who is painted as wise above her years.

The problem with Weathering is in the characters. Pearl is just there as a dripping ghost, occasionally interjecting her confusion but not adding any real depth. Ada is very selfish and her mothering made me cringe. She takes her daughter from pillar to post with no real thought behind it. They move into a crumbling and literally rotting house with no heat and she occasionally tries to pick it up but basically leaves it a dangerous mess. And Pepper is portrayed in a manner that implies she should be sassy but it just comes across as bratty.

The world built was so-so, no specific country or area was ever stated so it could have

been set anywhere which led to some confusion. The town was painted with broad strokes so it was hard to envision. The pacing was also not all there as it would jump all of the sudden. The plot was also lacking as there was nothing to achieve or conclusion to reach. It just seemed to move, jerk, then stop.

Weathering and it’s author Lucy Wood had potential, but to me it was never reached. I know some people love these nebulous stories but I am not one of them. I enjoy plot and tension and character development. And to me Weathering was lacking.

Source: http://125pages.com/weathering-lucy-wood