125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Heir and the Spare – Emily Albright

The Heir and the Spare is ridiculously cute. Smoking hot prince meets slightly awkward American Oxford student. Cue family drama, social drama and relationship drama. NowThe Heir and the Spare is not groundbreaking but what it is, is a well written modern love story and as I have said before, sometimes that is exactly what you need. Evie is following a quest her English mother set up for her before she passed and Edmund is the spare prince who complicates her journey.

Emily Albright created a very real world within a world. The English monarchy is well know, and to be able to imprint a new family on it successfully is not an easy task. The pacing was just right, not too fast and not too slow. Every revelation made sense in the timeline and keep the plot moving forward. The plot was pretty transparent, but that is par for the course in romance books. The writing was rich and very descriptive. This was nice to see in a debut author. The characters are what made this book. The mains were nuanced and had depth and the sidekicks played their parts to perfection. They were funny, charming, bitchy and rude and all fit their roles.

I was impressed by Albright and was very pleased with how The Heir and the Sparecame together. It was a cohesive story that had heart and offered a wide array of emotions. Evie and Edmund were a couple you wanted to see succeed and their path to happiness was fraught with drama like a crazy ex-girlfriend and a downright mean Duchess. Having the added addition of a family quest made this a step above a cookie-cutter romance and added needed intrigue. As mentioned before this is Emily Albright’s debut and it was very well done. I look forward to the next entry in Albright’s writing career.

Favorite lines – One day at a time, that’s how I had to do this. Right now, I just wanted him to hold me.

I received this book for free from The Fantastic Flying Book Club in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/heir-spare-emily-albright