125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Six of Crows – Leigh Bardugo

So I kept hearing about this book Six of Crows, like hearing about it over and over. Seeing it on best of lists and on a ridiculous number of book blogs. I requested it from the library to see what all the hype was about. And hoo boy was it hyped correctly. I have seen quite a few comparisons to a teen band similar to Ocean’s Eleven and that is a true match. Set in an alternate Netherlands (shout out to my peeps!) Kaz is an upcoming crime boss who strikes fear in those he rules. Faced with a prison break that will make him insanely rich, he cobbles together five others to help him. Told in third person from all six perspectives, I went in a little apprehensive as that is a lot of thoughts to shift through. But they all made sense, a cohesive voice tied them all together. A group of teen thugs taking on a government set to destroy them and risking it all for one big shot, Six of Crows was a fantastic trip.

I have not read Leigh Bardugo’s Grisha Trilogy (set in the same world, but in an alternate Russia), so I was not sure how her writing would be. Well no fear, it is great. Engaging and strong, she writes in a journey, a path to follow. The plot was well structured and had a solid foundation. The pacing built. It took a little bit for the story to ramp up, but when it did, it was non-stop. The characters all meshed well together, a cohesive unit that played very well off of each other. There was also a nice emotional pull to each one. None of them came into a life of crime easily, and their backstories added to the nuances of each.

Leigh Bardugo crafted a world that I will happily dive into time and time again. Six of Crows is an epic root for the thieves tale and I really want them to succeed. I am anxiously awaiting the next installment. I may have to go find her Grisha Trilogy to reenter a piece of that world before number two comes out.

Favorite lines – “It’s not natural for women to fight.” “It’s not natural for someone to be as stupid as he is tall, and yet there you stand.

Source: http://125pages.com/six-crows-leigh-bardugo