125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Year We Fell Apart – Emily Martin

Let me start by getting this out. Yay!!!! A 2016 debut that I have been waiting for. And it was good! *Okay, deep breath.* The Year We Fell Apart has been on my radar for a while and I am always a little afraid when I’ve been waiting for a book that it will be, well, not good. So I am very glad that is not the case for The Year We Fell Apart. Harper and Declan are a couple you root for even through all the crap. Childhood best friends, they find love until Declan is shipped off to boarding school. Harper then free falls and becomes the queen of bad decisions. When Declan returns for the summer all the old feelings bubble up and decisions need to be made.

The feels were deep with this one. Emily Martin created characters that resonated with me. From the mains to the sides all were well fleshed out and fit well with each other. The world created was real and well encompassed the characters. The pacing was great, things unfolded naturally and were never rushed. The plot was solid and I was pleased that there was an absence of the typical YA unconcerned/absent parent. The writing, however, is where The Year We Fell Apart shone. Martin was able to craft feelings into her words and to make you genuinely care about her cast, even when they were acting ridiculous.

I am glad I was able to read this one, as it refreshed my love for the YA romance/drama. Some of the ones I have read in the last year have been disappointing as they were so fake. This was a realistic read with heart. I have a feeling The Year We Fell Apart will top the best debuts of 2016 list, and it will be well deserved. Emily Martin is an author to watch and I am excited to see what she will bring next.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss, The Fantastic Flying Book Club in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/year-fell-apart-emily-martin