125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Ex: A Novel – Alafair Burke

The Ex had such potential. A mass shooting and a young wife and mother dead. Then a few years later the father of the shooter is murdered and the prime suspect is the husband of the wife killed. Open and shut case right? Well no, he has an unbelievable alibi and a shark for a lawyer. The same shark he was once engaged to, who will do everything in her power to prove his innocence. Sounds fantastic right? And it was until I figured out if he did it about 40% though the book. From then on I kept picking out the clues and it lost its fun. The Ex is another mystery hiding as a thriller. I love thrillers that keep me on the edge of my seat, tense with anticipation. Mysteries really don’t do it for me as I spend the whole time seeking those little tidbits to prove my theory. So, I was right in the end but lost the tension I had hoped for.

Alafair Burke can write. I really enjoyed her turn of phrase and her ability to set a vivid scene without over describing. The world building was fine, I wasn’t immersed but I wasn’t confused. The plot was also fine, I had hoped for tense and gripping and it wasn’t. The characters were mostly great. Olivia and Jack played off of each other well. The sidekick best friend and daughter were at turns abrasive or needy and I didn’t click with them.

The Ex is a great mystery novel, I just don’t care for mysteries. As a thriller, I found it lacking. But I heartily recommended it to my mom who loves a good mystery and she has already requested it from the library. So mystery lovers this is a great pick for you. For those like me, who want a gripping thriller, I would pass.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/ex-novel-alafair-burke