125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Edge of Nowhere – CH Armstrong

I, like most book bloggers, get a lot of review requests each month. So when an author named C.H. Armstrong sent in a review request, I didn’t really think much of it. The Edge of Nowhere seemed interesting so I signed on to read it. Then C.H. and I followed each other on Twitter and we have had some great conversations. So when it finally came time to read her book I was nervous. I liked the author as a person and I hoped I did not have to give her book a bad review. Well color me relieved, as The Edge of Nowhere is fantastic! I am not usually into historical fiction but this story swept me up and sucked me in. Young Victoria has a harsh life in rural Oklahoma. Orphaned at a young age, she relies on the kindness of others to survive. As she grows up she hardens, determined to never count on another. This tale moves through the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl with ease and grace and shows us how life can battle a person.

C.H. creates a vivid and strong world, where you can practically feel the sticky heat and taste the grit in the air. The characters were all well thought out and placed appropriately in the world. Their motivations rang true and they played their parts with finesse. The pacing was great. It is hard to span decades without losing the pace at some time, and no pacing was dropped. The plot was rich and well thought out. The writing shone. Ranging from dark to witty, each line made sense and kept the story on target. The emotional quotient was also high; with birth’s, death’s and everything in between enriching the feelings evoked.

It is always a happy surprise to have a book be better than expected. C.H. Armstrong created a strong and vibrant tale in The Edge of Nowhere. Rich, thoughtful and at times provoking, this was quite a debut. I am happy to say, that in addition to being a genuine and nice person C.H. is one hell of a writer and I look forward to her next book.

I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/edge-nowhere-ch-armstrong