125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Everything’s Relative – Jenna McCarthy

Three sisters who have been controlled by their mother for as long as they can remember, finally feel free when she dies. Jules, Brooke, and Lexi have dealt with their mother being hash and, at times even cruel, for the majority of their lives. None of them reached the potential she excepted of them, and so even as adults they do not feel relief from her scrutiny. When she passes, they figure that they finally are able to live their lives the way they want. Until the reading of the will. A fortune is theirs for the taking as long as they live the next year under the last of their mother’s rules.

Jenna McCarthy crafted a cute tale of a sisterly bond overcoming harsh odds. The writing flowed well and the pacing was structured well. The world was fairly well crafted, not super vivid, but very understandable. The characters were well plotted out, but were not super sharp. At times I was unsure of the sisters motivations and thought processes. The plot was entertaining, but not amazing. I knew what the outcome would be pretty early on, but that did not ruin the read.

Everything’s Relative was a cute and fun read. It was not deep or insightful, but not every book needs to be. McCarthy has a sharp wit and at times Everything’s Relative was laugh out loud funny. The ending was expected, and I almost wish it had gone the other possible direction, as that would have been a nice change. This was a nice entry into the chick-lit genre; a sister story with heart. A nice change of pace book from the thrillers I have been reading lately, Everything’s Relative worked well as a nice palette cleanser.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/everythings-relative-jenna-mccarthy