125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

What Lies Between Us – Nayomi Munaweera

I don’t know f I have ever had a harder review to write, as to say much about What Lies Between Us is to be super spoiler-y. And as you all know, I am a spoiler free zone. Here is what I can say. Holy crapsticks was the writing amazing. Full of incredible depth and emotion I was riveted. Our narrator begins the tale as a girl living an idyllic life as the only beloved daughter in a well to do family in Sri Lanka. As she tells us of her life and friends you really get to know and care for her. Then, a series of things (I know super vague) happen and she moves to America with family. As she tries to find her identity in a new country she learns and prospers. As she grows we feel with her and understand her motivations. Then crazy things and stuff happens and oh lord I was not prepared.

As I previously stated Nayomi Munaweera can write. Emotional and gripping What Lies Between Us was superbly crafted. The world Munaweera created was vivid and intriguing. The pacing was fine, some parts seemed to drag on a bit too long and some other things seemed glossed over, but the whole worked. The plot was intriguing with a few super powerful points tempered with the banal everyday. The characters were well thought out and, while a few were weaker, our narrator made up for any shortcomings. I had one issue with the very last paragraph as it seemed unnecessary, and I enjoyed the intrigue of not knowing. Sometimes every piece does not have to be wrapped up to be complete.

What Lies Between Us is one of those books I will remember. Even though a few points were a little lacking to me, the powerful writing eclipsed it. Munaweera is a writer capable of injecting pure emotion in her words and I really connected with her tale.

Favorite lines – But there is something else. There was a war, just not the one they are thinking of. In the shadow of that greater war, there was another smaller one. It was enacted within my body and between my bones. It took the small, delicate creation that I was, smashed it with a hammer, and set it upside down. All my pieces fell in the wrong order. I was separated from myself, and empty, echoing spaces were opened in me for a far darker inhabitant. No one knew, no one suspected. And yet even this smaller war is not my excuse. My sin is only and ever my own.

Source: http://125pages.com/lies-us-nayomi-munaweera