125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

She’s Not There – Joy Fielding

Another new to me author, that I am glad I discovered. Joy Fielding crafted a true “ripped from the headlines” tale of a kidnapped child, a marriage on the rocks and a family that may not survive the loss in She’s Not There. Caroline and Hunter are celebrating their ten year wedding anniversary in Mexico with family, friends and their two small girls. When the babysitter cancels, Hunter convinces Caroline to leave the girls asleep in the room and check on them every half an hour. When Caroline checks at the end of the night, the two-year-old Samantha is no longer in her crib. What follows is a media firestorm putting Caroline in the spotlight as an unfit mother. After fifteen tortured years, a phone call from a wary seventeen-year-old may change everything.

Fielding crafted a masterful tale of intrigue and family drama. The writing was crisp and conveyed emotion easily. Speaking of emotion, She’s Not There had a palpable undercurrent of loss and grief throughout that was very powerful. The world created was real and I could picture the varied environments well. The pacing was good, the chapters in the past were quick, and even if the current dragged a bit, as a whole it worked. The characters were engaging and you felt with them. A few, notably the oldest daughter, were a bit overdone, but as with the pacing it worked in the total atmosphere.

She’s Not There is a great read that I finished in one sitting. I stayed up late to finish, as I needed to know the truth. I was not at all disappointed by the ending and enjoyed the ride Joy Fielding took me on. I am again happy I found a new to me author to enjoy and my reading list is going to have some new additions with Fielding’s other books.

Source: http://125pages.com/shes-not-joy-fielding