125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Thanks for the Trouble – Tommy Wallach

I wanted to like Thanks for the Trouble more than I did. The plot sounded great and I really wanted to connect with the characters. After reading it, the plot was great but the characters were not my favorite. Parker is a boy who hasn’t spoken in five years since the death of his father. Hiding in the shadows, he ignores those around him until he sees a girl with silver hair drinking a cup of coffee. Zelda is a rush of pure life, interjected into Parker’s quite life. Through her he starts to see that the world he has pushed away may not be the cesspool he has thought.

Tommy Wallach started with a great premise. I adored the plot, so different and unique. Then entered the required absent and distracted YA parent to bring it down a little. The writing has some great moments and some not so great. The story ranged from sublime to a bratty teen, angry because he could not do whatever he wanted. The pacing was quick, with most of the action taking place over just a few days. The world created was real, centered around Parker’s high school and a few key San Francisco highlights. The characters and the emotions are tied together to me. The characters were super unique and I wanted to love them, but good god were they self absorbed and whiny. Parker in particular was so self absorbed he could not see the people around him that wanted to support him.

Thanks for the Trouble was a decent read, don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed the story as a whole, but just could not get past the main character’s selfishness. Zelda was a quirky and funny counterpoint to Parker, but I didn’t find her engaging enough to temper Parker. Now, I have seen reviews that rave about Thanks for the Trouble so I think this is a book where your mileage may vary. I didn’t dislike it, I just didn’t love it.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/thanks-trouble-tommy-wallach