125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Into The Dim – Janet B. Taylor

Into The Dim is described as Outlander for teens. Since I have not read any in the Outlander series (I know, I know, no judging. I have heard they are amazing, but I hesitate to start another new series) I can’t compare the two. What I can say is that Into The Dim doesn’t need to be compared. Hope is a fragile and sheltered sixteen-year-old who lost her mother in a tragic accident. Eight months later she discovers the family secret, her mother was part of a time traveling group and has been trapped in the past. Faced with a chance to save her, Hope and a group of other teens travel back to a dangerous time and face the ugly consequences of altering history.

Janet B. Taylor created a very real world with Into The Dim, even the time travel element made perfect sense in the context of her setting. The pacing was good, a few scenes dragged a bit but the action would begin again and then it was fine. The writing was sharp and had a great attention to detail, with nice foreshadowing and allusions. The emotional quotient was high with teens traveling in time, missing parents and potential pairings all in one story. The characters were great and I really connected with them. I was glad that they were all very unique and that they did not mesh perfectly, as in real life people aren’t instant friends.

Into The Dim is an impressive debut and Janet B. Taylor crafted a well told tale. Yes, there were scenes that could have been sharper, but the action and the characters helped keep the story moving. As I have said before, I want to feel with the characters and I was able to do it with Into The Dim. I am excited to see the next in the series in 2017 and what else Taylor may create.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/dim-janet-b-taylor