125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Passenger - Lisa Lutz

I have stated many times that I am tired of books being compared to Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. Those two books started a love of psychological thrillers in me and I have been hunting for the next one that could match up. And I kept being disappointed as most of them were decent, but not edge of my seat, holy crap books. Then enter The Passenger, a book that totally lives up to the hype and kept me up to the wee hours as I was compelled to figure it out. We meet Tanya as she is considering what to do with the dead body of her husband. As she calmly rationalizes leaving, we begin a journey with her crisscrossing the United States. Through countless identities and multiple hair colors, we begin to get to the truth of who Tanya is and was, and why she is so capable of being someone else.

Lisa Lutz created a remarkable world in The Passenger. Full of what should be mundane details, the way she frames them makes the simple sublime. The pacing was remarkable. Days and states pass in a blur and yet you never feel lost, you instead feel anxious to see what comes next. The plot was just so very good; gripping and super twisty. There was one small plot point that I did not care for as it just pushed my squick button a little too much and yet, seemed super expected and almost commonplace as an easy out in the thriller world at the same time. But other than that one point, perfection. The emotions ran high, as running from your past should make them. I also liked that I was rooting for a women who leaves her dead husband with almost no thought. The characters where well fleshed out and richly nuanced. The writing was ridiculously well done. I was engrossed from the get go and never paused to think about a plot point.

Lutz is a new to me author that I will definitely add to my want to read list. She was able to craft a tale that kept me interested from page one to the close of the book. If you are looking for this year’s gripping and full of twists thriller, The Passenger is the one that I would recommend hands down. Well written, full of gasps and heart pounding action, The Passenger is worth the late night and lack of sleep.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss, Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/passenger-lisa-lutz