125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Girl Last Seen – Heather Anastasiu and Anne Greenwood Brown

A missing teen mean girl, a confused best friend teaming up with a boy she should stay away from to find the truth. Sounds mighty familiar doesn’t it (Take the Fall). Girl Last Seen though is a sharper version with a nice modern take. Kadence and Lauren are best friends and rising YouTube stars. Their music videos have found a fanbase and everything seems to be going their way. Then Lauren suffers a severe medical setback and Kadence sets off on her own. Then Kadence disappears after a show and Lauren was the last person to see her. Can she find out the truth while all eyes are looking at her?

Heather Anastasiu and Anne Greenwood Brown crafted an interesting tale in Girl Last Seen. The writing was crisp and there was a nice solid voice, which is sometimes lost when there are co-authors. The plot was different enough with the addition of social media and striving for internet fame. I liked the plot and found the world created very current and real. There was a nice emotional vein running throughout which helped temper my dislike of some of the characters. No one person jumped out as a sympathetic person to latch on to. Even Lauren, who should have been the tie, was at times too weak for me.

Girl Last Seen was an interesting read. There was nice tension and character interplay, but I would not classify it as a thriller, more of a mystery. I also did not like the second twist end. It would have been complete to me with the first twist and a small epilogue. I sometimes think that with the popularity of books like Gone Girl, every author feels like they need to make the end super surprising and twisty, which may not be bad, but is sometimes too much. But even with that, I still enjoyed the read.

I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review

Source: http://125pages.com/girl-last-seen-heather-anastasiu-anne-greenwood-brown