125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Somewhere Out There – Amy Hatvany

Somewhere Out There is a book about serious family issues with some heart. Adoption is a book topic I have seen and read quite a lot in the last few years. I think because it is such an emotional issue it lends itself well to crafting drama. Told from three perspectives,Somewhere Out There is the story of what happens when lives are divided. Brooke and Natalie are given up for adoption by their young mother; Natalie is immediately adopted, but Brooke’s life takes a different path. Reconnected as adults they both must work through the addition of a sister and the knowledge that they were split up. A tale of family in different forms Somewhere Out There attempts to help define it.

Amy Hatvany created an interesting tale with Somewhere Out There; a family drama that spanned multiple generations and affected many lives. The writing was great, Hatvany was able to switch between multiple narrators without losing focus. The plot was not super original but had some very distinctive moments and the world was nicely fleshed out. There was a lot of emotion in Somewhere Out There, but at times it seemed forced. The characters were fine, but other than Natalie, I found the rest selfish and couldn’t really connect with them. Brooke was angry and hurt to the point of pushing everyone away and the parents were all more concerned with their feeling’s above anyone else’s.

Somewhere Out There was a nice read with some great emotion. However it just didn’t grab me. I still enjoyed reading it and I really enjoyed the chapters from Natalie’s perspective. I just didn’t connect with the other two narrators. I did like Hatvany’s writing and will read another of her books when I have a chance to.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/somewhere-out-there-amy-hatvany