125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Last Days of Magic – Mark Tompkins

The Last Days of Magic is a sweeping epic that I really enjoyed, even though I was lost most of the time. I do not tend to do well with epic stories. The Lord of the Rings series almost broke me with the ridiculous amount of characters and the over description of everything. I can barely make it through an episode of Game of Thrones without asking my husband who that just was. So even knowing that, I wanted to read The Last Days of Magic, as it just sounded so good. I am glad I gave it a chance, as I really did like the book. (I can’t even fully break down the synopsis, so please see it above.)

Mark Tompkins can create quite the world. Rich with a deep connection to the land and detailed (but not too detailed, I’m looking at you LotR with your 6 pages describing a tree). The pacing had a few issues with abrupt time jumps but the action always stabilized it. There was no lack of emotion; between those fighting for their cultures and homes and those fighting for power and religion, the emotions ran high. As mentioned, I did have some trouble with the characters, as there were so many. But those I did follow were great. I rooted for them, wept with them and wished them victory. Tompkins’ writing is strong. To be able to build such a nuanced world and have a unique voice for each character takes some talent.

Even thought I did not fully follow the story it was somehow still a really enjoyable read. Action, magic, goddesses, corrupt politicians, power hungry witches and more filled a world that brimmed with war and turmoil. Mark Tompkins crafted a remarkable world in The Last Days of Magic. The ending did not feel final so I hope this is the first in a series, as, even confusing, this is a world I will happily rejoin.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/the-last-days-of-magic-mark-tompkins