125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Only Ever You – Rebecca Drake

Only Ever You is a parental nightmare thriller. Your young child goes missing and then turns up just fine, then once everything has settled back down, your child is gone once again; and this time they don’t turn back up right away. Pulling from the fear at the heart of every mother and some hints of Dateline, Only Ever You is a read that will have you clutch your kids just a little closer, and take a hard look at those around you.

Rebecca Drake crafted a very “ripped from the headlines” world in Only Ever You. A twisty plot, that kept me guessing to the end, was elevated by the very real wold setting. The pacing was fantastic and I appreciated the detail spent around moving the story constantly forward. The emotions were true to the story and although it felt a little overwrought at times, it did fit the theme in the book. The characters for the most part were great. I did get a little sick of the husband and his antics, as it was his wife and child that everything was happening to and he was at times very laissez-faire about the whole proceedings. Drake’s writing was great on the gripping parts and a little light on the character development. When combined as a whole I did really enjoy the story, the writing and the plot.

Only Ever You is a thriller that actually deserves that categorization. Yes, it had some mystery elements, but it was at its heart a doozy of a thriller. I loved that I thought I had it all figured out, and while I was close, I was still wrong at the end. Rebecca Drake delivered a good tale that kept me reading way too late into the night. While Only Ever You did have a bit of weak characterization, as a whole it succeeded and I really did enjoy the read. Drake is an author I will keep an eye on, as I would want to check out more by her.

Source: http://125pages.com/ever-rebecca-drake