125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Don’t Get Caught – Kurt Dinan

Don’t Get Caught is a fun read. Pranks, clueless school admins and crushes all combine for a genuinely good read. Max is an average guy, 2.5 GPA, not into parties, nothing special. So when he gets an invite to the exclusive and secret Chaos Club he wonders why. But then he thinks why not and heads off to the first meeting. Instead of the meeting, Max and four others walk into a set-up and get caught by campus security. Then, the gloves come off, and Max and the Water Tower 5 plan the ultimate prank revenge.

Kurt Dinan crafted a fun tale with a lot of heart. The writing was fantastic and you really got to know who Max is and how he thinks. The pacing had a few bumps, as the prank sections went very quickly but the build-up was at times uneven, but this did not detract from the story as a whole. The world built was solid and the character interactions all fit well in the space crafted for them. I was surprised by the depth of emotion. A YA  story about a prank war does not instantly make you think of emotions, but Don’t Get Caught had a nice emotional tie with the characters. Speaking of the characters, they were for the most part awesome. A few were not as solidly fleshed out as I would have liked but as a group they worked. There was only one scene that I really did not like. The group, through a prank, caused someone to make a life altering decision, and while that person was an distinctly awful, their actions did not quite rise to the level of having their whole life upended by a group of teens. That one section aside, I really enjoyed Don’t Get Caught.

Don’t Get Caught had humor, drama and an unexpected depth. I really enjoyed Dinan’s writing and will put him on my list of YA authors to watch. I loved the unexpected ending so very much, but it felt open ended to me in a great way. As soon as I was finished reading it I went to Twitter to harass (in a nice way) Kurt Dinan to see if a sequel is on the horizon, and I am happy to report that there are ideas in place.

Source: http://125pages.com/dont-get-caught-kurt-dinan