125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Decent Proposal – Kemper Donovan

The Decent Proposal was just that, a decent read. There was nothing blatantly wrong with it, but it did not have the hook I was looking for to really draw me in. Richard and Elizabeth are strangers who meet for the first time in a lawyers office. There, they are told that they will each receive $500,000 in a year’s time as long as they get together and talk once a week. At first these two have nothing in common, but then they start to connect and have to learn if the path they are following is true or manufactured by outside influences.

I enjoyed the plot Kemper Donovan created. It is an interesting take on blind dating and combined a meet cute with a bit of mystery. Donovan’s writing was clean and conveyed the story well. The pacing had a few weak spots, at times it dragged, then evened out and then it would ramp up a little too quickly. The world built was solid, although a few times it lacked cohesion. The emotions were there, but they were more low key than I would have liked. The characters were where I had the most issues. I loved the mains, but their sidekicks were both overbearing and obnoxious and I would have preferred less attention on them and more on Richard and Elizabeth.

The premise was cute and I enjoyed the interplay between the two main characters. However the other characters dragged the story down by siphoning attention away. This did not make The Decent Proposal a bad read, it just dragged a great story to a good story. The big reveal was also a little lacking as in the scope of the story it never quite made sense. Kemper Donovan’s debut was a cute read that suffered a few issues. But the heart of the story worked and I did love the main characters. The Decent Proposal was a step above the average and Donovan has potential to be a very successful author if the true heart of the story comes across more.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/the-decent-proposal-kemper-donovan