125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Lies and Other Acts of Love – Kristy Woodson Harvey

Lies and Other Acts of Love had two great stories in it. Octogenarian Lovey and her granddaughter Annabelle. I really liked each story arc, separately. However, when woven together it made a bit of a mishmash out of the flow. On their own, either story would have popped, but the way it was presented, with multi-pov, it hampered the storytelling. Lovey’s story tells of her upbringing and the love she and her husband of 60 plus years shared. Annabelle’s arc showed a girl in the flush of true love. She left her boring fiancé for a musician she met and they ran off to Vegas and married after only knowing each other three days. But, all is not perfect in either woman’s life and they must each decide if love is more important than the truth.

As I mentioned I really enjoyed the plot of each separate narrator. Lovey’s story would have made a great family saga, and Annabelle’s would have been a great contemporary romance. But the blending of the two brought each side down. I liked the writing of Kristy Woodson Harvey. She was able to make each character distinct and real. The pacing had a few issues as it went from Lovey’s past to the current and at times it seemed disjointed. The world created also suffered from this double story telling. Each person was not able to have a fully fleshed out world as it competed with the other pov. The emotions were strong in Lies and Other Acts of Love. I did feel with the characters and was genuinely upset with some of the actions taken. The characters were also great. Distinct and with their own voices, but they drowned each other out in the telling.

I did enjoy Lies and Other Acts of Love, I just would have liked it more if it was one story not two wrapped around each other. Each tale competed with the other so that no one part was able to shine. I also disliked “the big secret”. It was never fully fleshed out and made no real dent in the story. Kristy Woodson Harvey can write, however if focused on one main narrator would be more powerful.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/lies-and-other-acts-of-love-kristy-woodson-harvey