125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Martian – Andy Weir

The Martian had been languishing on my Kindle since January 2015. I kept hearing about it and the movie. I was determined to at least read it before seeing the movie, but nope didn’t happen. I really enjoyed the movie and needed to get to the book. But did I? No, of course not. Then a bright light! One of my book clubs picked The Martian for it’s March read. I was so bogged down with other reviews I made The Martian my second ever audiobook. Astronaut Mark Watney is part of a U.S. crew on Mars. A storm hits and the crew is evacuated; everyone but Mark, who is believed dead. Now Mark is stuck alone on a distant planet with no communications, little food and water and a vague plan to survive.

I really liked the plot of The Martian. It was very different from anything I have read before and while it was very science-y it kept my attention the whole time. Now I am not sure how to rate writing in an audiobook but I will say it was much funnier than I expected. Andy Weir added plenty of sly references some some downright dirty lines that had me laughing as I listened. The narrator was also great and very engaging, with distinct voices for each of the characters. The pacing was also on point. Even though the book spans multiple years and would sometimes skip a month or more it all made sense in the scope of the tale. The world built was vivid and I could feel the isolation of Mars. The emotions ran high in The Martian. Weir created a connectedness between the reader and Mark and all you could do was root for him. The characters were great. Mark was the primary and he was entertaining and heartbreaking all in one. The minor characters all had a unique personality and added to the read.

I am glad I finally got a chance to get to the book version of the The Martian. Andy Weir created a unique read and has a unique story to go with it. Weir self published it a chapter at a time on his website, he then created a version for Kindle and sold it for the lowest price point possible. After just a few months it toped the Amazon best seller lists. This made book folks interested and a book publisher contacted him. The rest, as they say, is history. I highly recommend The Martian as a great read/listen. It is a original tale that is compelling and captivating. There is a slight change in the published version as the ending was different in the original. To read the original ending go check out the Original Ending.

Favorite lines – “AUDIO LOG TRANSCRIPT: SOL 119

You know what!? Fuck this! Fuck this airlock, fuck that Hab, and fuck this whole planet!
Seriously, this is it! I’ve had it! I’ve got a few minutes before I run out of air and I’ll be damned if I spend them playing Mars’s little game. I’m so god damned sick of it I could puke!

All I have to do is sit here. The air will leak out and I’ll die.
I’ll be done. No more getting my hopes up, no more self-delusion, and no more problem-solving. I’ve fucking had it!

AUDIO LOG TRANSCRIPT: SOL 119 (2)

Sigh…okay. I’ve had my tantrum and now I have to figure out how to stay alive.”

Source: http://125pages.com/the-martian-andy-weir