125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Dig – John Preston

I had vaguely heard of the Sutton Hoo discovery when I requested this book. But I liked the synopsis of a retelling of an important historical discovery. Kindof like Indiana Jones in book form. Well The Dig was not Temple of Doom, but it was a fast, fun read that encompassed history and a little drama in a pre-war setting. A widow, Mrs. Petty and her young son live in Sutton Hoo surrounded by earthen mounds. On the verge of World War II she contacts with a freelance archaeologist to find out what is inside. Uncovering much more than they thought, other organizations come to claim the find and to rule The Dig.

The plot of The Dig was very interesting. Based on real events, it supposed what might have been said and how the parties acted. The writing of John Preston was succinct and strong. He made a very dry situation enjoyable and intriguing. However, I was confused at some points as the various parties involved all blended together. The pacing was good; it followed a very specific time line. The world created was also good, as it was based on real locations. There was not a strong emotional tie in the storyline as it was more fact based and less focused on feelings. I enjoyed the characters as they were all strongly rooted in their ideals. However, a few of the archaeologists seemed interchangeable.

I enjoyed The Dig and liked getting out of my usual reading categories. As not a huge history buff, some scenes were a little dry for my taste, but that did not hamper my enjoyment much. John Preston created an interesting take on a historical fiction and I would recommend. It was interesting to enter that time in such a specific way.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review

Source: http://125pages.com/the-dig-john-preston