125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Tragedy Girl – Christine Hurley Deriso

feargif

Tragedy Girl should have been amazing. A teen girl who has to start over after her parents death, a teen boy recovering from the tragic drowning of his girlfriend and a new love blossoming. A love that turns dark and has potentially tragic consequences. Yes, please sign me up. Instead I read a tale of insta-love and a desperate need to be loved. Tragedy Girl could have been phenomenal but was instead just okay.

The plot of Tragedy Girl had so much going for it. A powerful message and a strong female lead. However the writing of Christine Hurley Deriso could not quite keep up with her message. The story was full on YA instant love and clueless parents. The pacing was great and helped carry the plot forward. The world built was great, full of detail and small things that all pieced together. The emotions ran high, but at times too high. Crazy love and crazy jealousy in a very short window. The characters were okay. I could never really connect with Anna as she was so angsty.

I always wish books with such serious issues are amazing. If they are powerful it helps shed a light on whatever is the focus. But unfortunately Tragedy Girl was more of a teen insta-love tale that attempted to have a few serious moments. Tragedy Girl wasn’t a bad read, it was just not as deep as I had hoped.

Source: http://125pages.com/tragedy-girl-christine-hurley-deriso