125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Year We Turned Forty – Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke

The Year We Turned Forty by Liz Fenton, Lisa Steinke
Published by Washington Square Press on April 26, 2016

Before I read The Year We Turned Forty I had a chance to meet Liz Fenton & Lisa The Year We Turned Forty – Liz Fenton & Lisa SteinkeSteinke at the Tucson Festival of Books. They were so nice and gracious I was nervous going into the read. What if I didn’t like it? I loved them, so I hoped it was good. Oh praise all, it was great! Full of emotion, humor and heart The Year We Turned Forty was a read I sunk into and did not get up till it was finished.

The plot was very unique. Three best friends are given the choice to go back 10 years and relive their 40th year. They all have issues to fix and they may fix them or forever alter their futures. The writing of Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke was very cohesive. Sometimes when there are co-authors the story can get muddied, but not here. They spoke in the same voice consistently. The pacing did have a few issues as it jumped time periods and between narrators, but it did not distract from the overall theme. The world, built also had some minor issues as it moved between the three main characters, but it did not hinder the tale. The emotions were amazing. Deep and moving, I really connected with the women and felt with them. Speaking of the characters they were great. All three were unique and had their own distinct personalities.

I really did enjoy The Year We Turned Forty. Even though it contained one of my hard stop plot lines, adultery, the way it was done fit into the story telling and was not done for shock value. Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke created a read that touched me and moved me. I cannot wait to read another or their works and will keep them on my radar for the future.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/the-year-we-turned-forty-liz-fenton-lisa-steinke