125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Sleeping Giants – Sylvain Neuvel

Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel
Published by Del Rey on April 26, 2016

Sleeping Giants – Sylvain Neuvel

A few months ago, Netgalley featured a scavenger hunt that led to Sleeping Giants. I was intrigued by the premise and the fact that all of the chapters are set as character interviews. A never identified government agent from an unknown agency is collaborating with scientists, military personnel, and an array of niche workers. The story opens with a young girl falling into a hole and landing on a large metal hand. That girl grows up to be a scientist who is recruited by the shadow to work on the origins of the hand. What they find could begin the next world war or open a new path for our planet.

Sleeping Giants had a very interesting plot. Between the shadowy government agency, the otherworldly influences and the uncertainty, it created a unique blend. I did like the writing of Sylvain Neuvel, however there was a connection with the reader that was a bit lacking with the interview style he chose. The pacing was spot on and the story flowed well. The world Sylvain Neuvel built in Sleeping Giants, while not super detailed, worked very well in the scope of the story. I had the same problem with the emotions that I did with the writing as the connection just wasn’t there as you saw everything through the words of the characters that they dictated. I loved the characters themselves, in Sleeping Giants; they were snarky and really went for what they wanted and while I didn’t connect deeply with them, I understood and enjoyed them.

Sleeping Giants is not what I would consider my normal type of read. I was not aware that there was a genre called Technothrillers, and would probably not have picked one up that advertised as that. I am glad that Netgalley featured it, as I did enjoy the read. The unique way the chapters were set as interviews and the still unknown at the end shadowy government agent at the center made this very entertaining. Sylvain Neuvel has this set as the beginning of a series and I will happily add the next ones to my reading list.

Source: http://125pages.com/sleeping-giants-sylvain-neuvel