125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Approval Junkie – Faith Salie

Approval Junkie – Faith SalieApproval Junkie: Adventures in Caring Too Much by Faith Salie
Published by Crown/Archetype on April 19, 2016

Approval Junkie is a memoir that focuses on why a person would seek validation from everyone but herself. It was an interesting read, as I think that needing the okay from others is something that is taught in a low-key way to all girls. Faith Salie, an actress, writer and radio host, has sent the majority of her life questing for approval. She altered her desires and career to please others, primarily her ex, whom she refers to as her wasband. I would have liked a deeper dive into this relationship as I feel it could have been a much more powerful read with more on this relationship.

Faith Salie forged an interesting path in life, moving from onscreen to a very successful radio career. Her writing reflected this versatility well. While the synopsis stated that Approval Junkie was “Equal parts laugh-out loud funny and poignant”, I never found the laughing parts. I was amused by some of the chapters, most noticeably the section  dealing with Bill O’Reilly, but I never did so much as chuckle. I did find the poignant, as there were a few chapters where Salie really started to open up and dive into her emotions.

I did enjoy Salie’s path. She was open and honest with her falters and wins and I appreciated her message at the heart. Unfortunately, I was never super pulled into her life and felt as if I was an impartial observer. Approval Junkie was not a memoir that I disliked, I just never clicked with the narrator and at times felt like she was trying to hard to prove that she was now all fine. I wish the few chapters where I felt the author opening up resonated throughout, but I just didn’t feel it. I did enjoy this read as a whole, but from Faith Salie’s resume expected just a bit more.

Source: http://125pages.com/approval-junkie-faith-salie