125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Versions of Us - Laura Barnett

The Versions of Us – Laura BarnettThe Versions of Us by Laura Barnett
Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt on May 3, 2016

The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett is a tale told in three parts. Each section begins with the same day; and the meeting or almost meeting of two students. Told in alternating chapters each timeline unfurls through the decades with each what if covered. It is an interesting concept for a book, one that I have seen in a few movies, all done with varying success. The Versions of Us was mostly successful.

The plot of The Versions of Us was very intriguing. Three possibilities in life, a giant “what if” followed through time. I was impressed with the writing of Laura Barnett. It is difficult to run three distinct plotlines containing the same characters and timelines and make them all distinct. The pacing had some issues as at times decades would pass and at times just days and it always took me a bit to catch up to the time change. The world was secondary to the characters and was not super fleshed out. There was a fair bit of emotion in The Versions of Us as love was at times lost then found then turned around within the three plots. The characters were where I felt a disconnect. I understand that all the timelines were meant to be distinct, but I just did not like their actions in the majority of the stories.

I enjoyed The Versions of Us for the most part. I must applaud Laura Barnett as all three parts were distinct and their own. It was difficult to read, as each chapter was a different timeline and I had to refocus and remember where the story left off a few chapters before. The main characters though, is what turned me off. I understand that they wanted to find true love and were constantly thrown into each others lives, but I did not like the actions taken for them to get there. I have a few plot points that instantly turn me off, and (no spoilers) but one of them was in The Versions of Us multiple times. If you enjoy a complex read with multiple storylines, then The Versions of Us is for you.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/the-versions-of-us-laura-barnett