125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Star-Touched Queen - Roshani Chokshi

The Star-Touched Queen – Roshani ChokshiThe Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
Published by St. Martin's Griffin on April 26th 2016

I kept hearing about The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi but was unsure if it was for me. It sounded like it would either be amazing or awful, and nothing in between as to craft a world as detailed as necessary for the plot is not easy. I finally decided that the hype had to be there for a reason so I set to reading. And I am glad I did, as it tipped the amazing scale. Maya is a not-perfect girl born under a cursed sign. Set apart from others and shunned, she is surprised when she is told she will marry. Then Amar, king of Akaran comes to her and she is transported to a land she believed to be myth. As she waits to find the true reason she was brought to Akaran, a force from the past rises up and threatens everything Maya holds dear.

I loved the plot of The Star-Touched Queen; it was unique and focused on such a strong female lead. The writing of Roshani Chokshi was lyrical. She placed such intricate details throughout it made for a super visual read. The world Chokshi created was extremely nuanced. I could picture the locations and feel the pulse of the residents. The pacing had a few very small issues. A few scenes seemed to drag a bit and a few others went too fast, but the overall experience worked for me. The characters in The Star-Touched Queen were so well crafted. I loved that Maya was not portrayed as a beautiful sheltered princess. She had unique looks, was extremely smart and stood up for what she believed in. Amar was strong as well, but he showed a distinct emotional range not typically found in YA young men. The emotions ran high throughout the The Star-Touched Queen. Extreme highs and lows balanced each other out and created a read that kept me constantly on edge in a great way.

The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi was such a different kind of YA read. It was so rich and had incredible depth. There were a few things I did not love but I am nit-picky and the things truly were small details. Most of it was in the pacing as some scenes just didn't seem to flow like the majority of the book, but that did not detract from my overall enjoyment. I would recommend The Star-Touched Queen just for the descriptions alone.

Source: http://125pages.com/the-star-touched-queen-roshani-chokshi