125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Ruined – Amy Tintera

Ruined – Amy TinteraRuined by Amy Tintera
Published by HarperTeen on May 3, 2016

Ruined by Amy Tintera is the first of a new YA fantasy trilogy. It features a kickass female bent on avenging her family and rescuing her little sister from a neighboring country they are at war with. Since she does not have the magic that runs in her family, Em has been taught to fight. She decides her best change at success is to pretend to be the Prince’s fiancé and infiltrate the royal family. But long standing grudges cannot compete with the heart and Em may have a different path to follow.

I enjoyed the plot of Ruined. A girl who has been indoctrinated by her mother to hate and taught that she is not good enough as she is not magical, sets out to  slaughter her enemies and instead finds that what she had been taught may not be 100% correct. Amy Tintera’s writing was sharp and she was able to meld magic, hate and some genuinely funny moments together. The pacing had a few weak spots as some scenes went very fast and seemed to skip over what I wanted to delve deeper into. This did not detract from the enjoyable whole though. The world built had some issues as well. Tintera’s placed you right into the middle of the action and while I enjoyed it, there was no buildup or learning period. There was a nice emotional tug to the story. Emelina is doing what she has been taught since birth and her learning about others created an emotional bond that was very prevalent. The characters were unique and each one had a distinct personality. A few characters on the periphery seemed forced or not necessary, but that did not lessen the whole of the experience.

Ruined by Amy Tintera was an interesting take on a YA fantasy tale. It was an engaging read that I enjoyed from start to finish. I did have a few moments of confusion in the beginning as the world was built during the action, not before, but that did not lessen my enjoyment as a whole. I eagerly await books two and three in this trilogy.

I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Source: http://125pages.com/ruined-amy-tintera