125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

Whisper to Me - Nick Lake

Whisper to Me – Nick LakeWhisper to Me by Nick Lake
Published by Bloomsbury USA Childrens on May 3, 2016

Whisper to Me by Nick Lake had such promise. A fantastic sounding plot featuring a teen girl struggling with balancing love and her mental illness. A letter written to the boy she has hurt and a promise of a brighter future. Instead of getting the big heart tugs and emotional tie I wanted from Whisper to Me, I got out that I need chapters in a book. Yup, 500+ pages with not a chapter break makes for a tedious read. Without that natural break, I was not sure where the story segmented itself and was actually stressed out reading it. Whisper to Me was written as a free flowing, stream of consciousness letter from our main character Cassie to the boy she has fallen for and then hurt.

Cassie is suffering from mental health issues including hearing a voice that tells her to punish herself among other things. Struggling through medication and therapy she finds solace in a boy who works on the boardwalk that the voice is silent around. Told in a letter to him, Whisper to Me could have been great but instead confused me and was frankly hard to read. As stated above there were no chapters, the story just went on and on and then contained such lines as “insults, like: ********* *********** you ********* ******** yourself ******* ****** ********* ******* die ******* ******* ******** such a ******* ******** ***** ******** ********* *********” as the main character did not like cursing and her voice cursed a lot.

Now I have seen some reviews that raved about this book and the writing of Nick Lake, so I think this is a YMMV as I just could not get past the style the story was presented in. I found it confusing and convoluted and the few amazing parts and characters (Paris was awesome) could not get me past the presentation.

Source: http://125pages.com/whisper-to-me-nick-lake