125pages

125Pages

Books are my happy place

The Bricks that Built the Houses – Kate Tempest

The Bricks that Built the Houses – Kate TempestThe Bricks that Built the Houses by Kate Tempest
Published by Bloomsbury USA on May 3, 2016

The Bricks that Built the Houses by Kate Tempest was like reading a classic Guy Ritchie movie. You know it is going to be a fun ride even if you are lost and or confused half of the time. Girl meets girl, girl then starts dating first girl’s brother, drug dealers and a suitcase full of stolen money all combine in this book. With a caper mentality at the heart of it, Houses is an interesting look at how your everyday interactions can lead you to a new reality.

The plot of The Bricks that Built the Houses was very interesting. almost everything that happened was setup as a coincidence and every character you met or location was sure to be factored into the story at a later point. You could tell from the writing of Kate Tempest that she tends towards poetry as a medium. Although lyrical at points it made the read a bit difficult as the non-standard sentence structure was at times too much. The pacing had some issues as certain sections went very fast and other dragged out. It did all come together in the end, but there were some shaky bits. The world built was nebulous; a few locations were mentioned but again the focus was the characters not the locales. Speaking of the characters, the main players were fantastic. I liked their complicated interplay, however there were a few too many side players that just detracted from the story. There was a great emotional arc in the storyline. I really liked the interplay of the different relationships and the feelings building behind them.

I was divided on my rating of this one. It had so many good things going for it, but it had almost an equal amount of detractions. I have mentioned before that there are good three star books and bad three star books and The Bricks that Built the Houses falls squarely in the good category. I enjoyed the tale but didn’t love the style of telling.

Source: http://125pages.com/the-bricks-that-built-the-houses-kate-tempest